I’m headed up to the mountains, y’all. Well, first I have to help construct a sculpture out of 5,000 cans. And then mountains.
I’m ready. Yesterday I turned in a piece at work I’d been fussing over for days, and then last night a bunch of us went out for some free and fabulous music, and laughed till we cried. Well, just me. I laughed until I cried. Because those people are really fun, and because Veronica named our band and it’s way better than anything I could have come up with so I had to hug her three times, and because the calendar flipped over into August, and suddenly I no longer feel becalmed and adrift.
It was on our collective 2013 list for someone to invent a signature cocktail for the annual music camping event up at Tracy and Gregg’s farm, Fire on the Mountain. So I did. I give you the Sunset Shandy. Recipe below.
- 1/2 a can of beer (it’s the Summer of Beer in Cans, remember, and here I used Sky Blue golden ale because its can is really pretty and looks outdoorsy)
- 1/2 a can of sparkling cranberry juice
- a few drops of grenadine so it looks like that moment up on the ridge just before twilight
- Garnish with a very small sunset (I used a candy orange slice)
- Finish with a guitar string, the hell out of which someone has already played
- Before anyone takes a sip, sing a song about “fire” or “mountains,” bartender’s choice. Then stand around with people you love and breathe easy.
You may make up to six to share, unless you have a guitar with more strings than I do.